One of the most common questions we get from customers is, “are triple-pane windows worth it?”
You’ll find a lot of conflicting information online, so we’re here to set the record straight on whether triple-pane windows are worth the investment for your home.
But first, let’s discuss what triple-pane windows are.
Double vs Triple-Pane Windows
Window panes are the sheets of glass in a window. Double and triple-pane windows have two and three panes, respectively. Each pane has spacers and an insulating agent like argon gas between each pane.
With two panes and one layer of argon gas, double-pane windows are great for all climates, except areas that experience harsh winters.
Triple-pane windows take it a step further with three panes of glass and two layers of argon gas. They’re the most technologically advanced window on the market and provide unmatched energy efficiency. Triple-pane windows are most commonly used in climates that experience cold winter weather or in homes in noisy areas.
Homes that opt for triple-pane windows typically see their energy efficiency improve by 20-30%, and a home in an area that experiences harsh winters can save 2-3% on energy bills.
With this in mind, are triple-pane windows worth it for your home? Let’s discuss the pros and cons.
Pros of Triple-Pane Windows
- Hot Summers – While summers in the midwest aren’t as brutal as they are in other parts of the country, it still gets hot. The additional insulation provided by triple-pane windows can protect against the summer heat.
- Winter Weather – If you live in an area with cold and snowy winters, triple-pane windows . During the winter, the extra insulation offered by triple-pane windows will keep your home warm and cozy.
- Consistent Home Temperatures – You might think it’s normal for your home to get noticeably warmer in the summer and colder in the winter. With triple-pane windows, those temperature fluctuations are a thing of the past. The additional insulation increases your home’s energy efficiency, keeps your home’s temperatures more consistent year round, and saves you money on your energy bills each month.
- Adds Value and Curb Appeal – If you’re looking to add value and curb appeal to your home, triple-pane windows are a smart investment. With increased energy savings, you’ll enjoy a return on your investment in the form of lower energy bills.
- Longevity – Vinyl replacement windows, especially triple-pane windows, are durable and long-lasting. You’ll have peace of mind knowing your windows are built to perform for years to come.
Cons of Triple-Pane Windows
- Weight – Because of the extra panes, spacers, and the overall width of triple-pane window frames, they are heavier than double-pane windows. Before choosing triple-pane windows, you’ll need to make sure your house can handle the extra weight. Your Window World consultant will be able to help you make this determination.
- Cost – Triple-pane windows will cost more upfront than double-pane windows. To help them better fit your budget, explore our financing options!
The Verdict? Triple-Pane Are Worth The Investment.
With the warm summers and frigid winters the midwest offers, your home is likely to benefit from the extra insulation triple-pane windows provide. Your home will be more comfortable year round, you’ll save on your electric bills, and you’ll enjoy a boost in curb appeal. Ready to get started? Schedule your free consultation today!